Friday, November 13, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Recipie ~ My Favorite from Grandma!




My Grandma Linnea is an excellent cook. I remember her mother, my great grandmother, to also be an excellent cook. They both were great seamstresses as well. I hope to share more of that with you on my blog.

One of my favorite recipes Grandma made was for a yummy, creamy, chicken enchilada. I believe she was given this recipe by a neighbor woman in West Covina, California. She told me she received lots of great meal ideas from this woman who shared fantastic and authentic Mexican recipes.

Last night I mentioned on facebook I made this recipe, and a few people commented and said they wanted it, a few of my sisters, and some friends :-) so here it is...the recipe for the Chicken Enchiladas.

1 dozen 8"flour tortillas
1 can of green salsa
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 # grated cheddar cheese
1 can diced Ortega chilies
1 pt. sour cream
1# grated montery jack cheese
2 skinless/boneless chicken breasts (or equivalent in left over chicken pieces)

Cook chicken until tender. Cut into bite sized pieces. Mix chilies, sour cream, and soup in a large bowl. Mix in cubed chicken and jack cheese. roll about 1/3-1/2 C of mixture in a warmed tortilla.
Place in a lightly greased 9x13" pan. Repeat until all the tortillas are used. Pour sauce over tortillas. Top with grated cheddar and Bake 30. min in 350 degree oven.

I serve mine with additional sour cream and guacamole. A simple side salad with tomato and ranch dressing is perfect, although I will sometimes add black beans with a little montery jack cheese on top, and Mexican rice.
Although the enchiladas are rolled individually, I usually serve casserole style, although people pretty much eat "one" each. I have used cream of chicken soup instead of cheddar cheese soup in a pinch, and you get more of the green chili taste.
Picture is from my lunch -- leftovers from yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. YUM!
    Thanks for posting. I can't wait to make these. Debbie and I used to leave school early and raid Grandma's fridge whenever she had these as leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. My family will be glad to have this too. Your Blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love your blog and feel sad I didn't discover it until today. You're more current than I am, though. Adam just hooked up my old computer for internet, but now I'm afraid to use it because there's no protection. I'm at school getting ready for a new cohort to start Monday. I love the looks of your blog and appreciate Grandma's recipe.
    Also LOVE your blog name...it's so artsy sounding.

    ReplyDelete